Located northeast Florida, ten miles from the Alabama state line, Pensacola is rich in historic, military aviation and natural attractions, all with Florida's signature sun, sand, seafood and water.
St. Augustine, Florida's eastern or Atlantic coast, is considered the oldest city in the United States, and was founded after Admiral Pedro Menendez de Aviles visited him and established a colony called Pensacola in the west of the state or the Gulf of Mexico. title if its settlement continued.
Six years ago, in August 1559, Spanish explorer Tristan de Luna called the indigenous tribes "long-haired" in the area called "Panzacola" with the intention of realizing the minister of Mexico Luis de Velasco. Spain's order to set up a settlement in the Gulf.
Well-equipped and well-prepared, 11 ships were brought in and 1,500 rooted colonists, among them African slaves and Mexican Indians. However, the date was forced on September 19 when a severe hurricane de Luna crashed eight of its ships on the road.
At the same time, to save the expedition, he sent a man to Veracruz, Mexico, to help the expatriates leave their coastal areas and live off the supplies they had brought. However, the ships that came a year later, instead of re-supplying the colonists, only escorted them to Havana, leaving only a little more than a military fork until the spring of 1561. By August, many soldiers had left. returned to Mexico, believing it was too dangerous for new land and habitats.
It is a claim that is known as the oldest, most durable US city in the world, even though it was beyond knowledge at the time.
It would be almost 150 years, and in 1698, in fact, the foreign forces would try to gain more support. In this case, Spain has built a more successful garrison to become the modern Pensacola, and thus the colonial city.
Due to the frequent occurrences throughout history, the once-claimed lands have often become a reward for the military, and Pensacola is no exception. The Spaniards first surrendered to the French in May 1719, but it was hardly the end of their property. France, Spain, England, and Spain will have another succession in the next century, until the last deportation of Florida to the United States in 1821. The confederacy is also considered "Pensacola" City of Five Flags "because of its location. ".
A significant part of its nearly 500-year history is preserved and is an organization supported by the University of West Florida at the Pensacola Historic District, run by the UWF Historical Trust, and has 27 areas. National Register of Historic Places.
Admission, which will be available within a week, includes guided tours and visitor access, and tickets can be purchased at Tivoli High House.
There are many important structures. For example, Seville Square is the center of the old town and ends at Plaza Ferdinand VII, the tip of the English route parade. Here, General Andrew Jackson received the territory of West Florida from Spain in 1821 and first raised the US flag.
The small, protected part of Fort George, the target of the Pensacola War of the American Revolution, is a symbol of British occupation from 1763 to 1781.
There were many original homes including the Julie Panton Cottage, 1805 Lavalle House, 1871 Dorr House and 1890 Lear-Rocheblave House.
The Old Christian Church, located in Seville Square and built in 1824 by slave labor, is still the oldest in the province to capture its original site.
However, there are several museums: T.T. The Wentworth, Jr., Florida State Museum, built in 1908 and originally served as the Municipal Building, the Pensacola Children's Museum, the Pensacola Multicultural Center, and the Museum of Commerce.
Although not technically part of the Pensacola Historic District, the Pensacola Grand Hotel is located at the Louisville and Nashville Railway passenger depot, built in 1912 to replace the 1882 L&N Community Station serving Pensacola for 58 years. It is now in the National Register of Historic Places.
Renovated with its original grandeur and transformed into a 15-story glass tower, French clay roofs and ceramic mosaic tile floors contain much of the early scenery and are adorned with solid pieces. , drops bronze light and antique items.
Located in the basement, the "1912, Restaurant" features the Biva doors on the way to London, a bronze chandelier chandelier from Philadelphia, 1885 curved glass and wrapped grill work from a Victoria hotel in Scranton. Lloyd's London.
Naval Station Pensacola:
There are several important places that can be accessed by the Pensacola Visitor's Gate and require an identity as a license to enter.
Located on the site of a fleet yard set up in 1825, the 9th officer, with 23 mechanics, eight planes and 10 beach support tents, began as an aviation training station at the start of World War I and was considered first.
Expanded dramatically because of World War II, it trained 1,100 cadets a month. After moving the Naval Air Training Command headquarters from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Pensacola, pure jet aircraft was included in the training program. Today, 12,000 active military personnel with 9,000 aircraft training have been assigned to the station.
The world-renowned National Maritime Aviation Museum is also one of the most visited places in Florida. It began not as a tourist sight, but to incorporate the history of military aviation into cadet curricula, for which there was not enough time or financial resources to read a traditional book.
Originally housed in a 8,500-square-foot wooden building that spoke of World War II, the facility has become the site of selecting, collecting, protecting and displaying aircraft and artifacts that reflect the development and heritage of the service sector. It opened its doors on June 8, 1963.
Increasingly, there are currently 700 aircraft in its collection, which are on display in 11 other Maritime Museum countries, but are on display here after a new facility with about 150 pre-restored, 37 open spaces and 350,000 square feet of indoor space. space is complete. Admission is free.
The South Wing, the West Wing, the second-floor Mezzanine, and also the Hangar Bay One, follows the development of maritime aviation and the conflict in the Middle East from its inception.
For example, the A-1 Triad was called because it worked on three air (wings), water (floats) and land (wheels). Nieuport 28, facilitated aircraft carrier experiment during World War I, mammoth Navy-Curtiss NC-4, crossed the Atlantic from Trefeys, Newfoundland to the Azores on the threshold of the Golden Age. The islands of Portugal.
The speed of jet fighters during the Cold War is represented by McDonnell F2H-4 Banshee, North American FJ-2 Fury and Russian MiG-15.
The central wing of the western wing is a replica of the USS Cabot Island and the USS Cabot Island, which is largely surrounded by an extensive collection of World War II aircraft, including the Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat, the Vused-Sikorsky FG-1D Corsair. , and General Motors (Grumman) TBM Avenger.
Among the numerous exhibits in the museum's mezzanine, which can come from ignoring both South and Western wings, and can even be accessed by airplane stairs, there can be no greater contrast to each other than to air-light aircraft. and space research.
In the first case, a spherical balloon, successfully evacuated by the Montgolfier Brothers in 1783, was driven by a water-driven, but self-propelled, engine for speed and driving. ) and length (pitch) arrow control. Hanging gondola accommodated crew and passengers. In hard types, there are internal frames, such as blimps that are not required by the hard ones.
Gondola or steering cars are displayed from the Navy's L-8 and World War II K-47 warships. The last was on May 19, 1943, at Moffett Field, California, with an internal volume of 425,000 cubic feet.
The second, or space, is a copy of 7 space capsules of Mercury Freedom, whose original work begins at a distance of 116.5 nautical miles and carries 14.8 minutes of air / space, and represents the contributions made to the Naval Aviation Space Program. Aviator Alan B. Shepard became the first American to enter the world on May 5, 1961.
Also, the original Skylab II Command Module, which launched the Skylab spacecraft into orbit for 28 days between May and June 1973. The three-member record, including the longest manned spacecraft operated by the entire Navy, has set several records. the largest distance was reached and the largest mass was located in space.
There are four Douglas A-4 Skyhawks in a 10,000-square-foot Blue Angels Atrium and a dark diving color of the aerobatic team, both of the mezzanine and the main floor, connecting the South and Western Wings. blue bean.
Hangar Bay One, a 55,000-square-foot exhibition area, has aircraft such as the Sikorsky VH-3 Maritime King, transported by presidents Nixon and Ford in the 1970s; Douglas R4D-5L Skytrain, which first descended on the South Pole of Antarctica in 1956; and the Grumman F-14D Tomcat, a silent sound and wing fighter entering the final combat task.
Visitors include additional tours, a laser-equipped screen theater with numerous daily movies, two gift shops and a Cubi Bar Cafe.
The flights of the famous Blue Angels flight crew can be viewed on the Museum Flight Line in the north of the museum itself.
Another historical attraction in the Naval Station area is Pensacola Mayak.
Due to the strategic importance of the Pensacola Harbor, in March 1823, Congress gave $ 6,000 to build a liquid house in May, choosing a suitable location in June, but temporarily substituting Aurora Borealis, a floating alternative. It was located at the western end of Santa Rosa Island, moved from the mouth of the Mississippi River.
Enter the harbor, whose permanent structure, a white brick tower 40 feet wide, each reinforced with a 14-inch reflector, was first burned on December 20 next year and allowed sailing ships to reach it.
Although it proved to be more useful than a floating ship, it began to detect its deficiencies by 1850: the trees on the island of Santa Rosa were prevented and the light could not serve as an effective navigation aid by the newly built Lighthouse. Board to recommend a replacement that will rise to a height of at least 150 feet.
In response to his request, the Congress granted $ 25,000 in 1854 and two years later an additional $ 30,000. It was completed in 1858, with the construction of a new unit about half a mile west of the original. The first light was released on New Year's Day, 1859, by Keeper Palmes, climbing 159 meters from a 30-meter-diameter base. The most powerful lens available at that time, Fresnel's first order.
The Pensacola Lighthouse, now in the National Register of Historic Places, offers visitors a glimpse into the life of lighting in the mid-19th century, with the Visitor Center and Museum Store at the Richard C. Callaway Museum in 1869 in the House of Machines. the beacon is a 177-foot lighthouse that can be climbed for neighborhoods and views of the Pensacola Bay.
Another historical attraction of Pensacola is the Naval Air Station Fort Barrancas.
According to the National Park Service, "Fort Barrancas, located on holes outside the Pensacola Bay, was built to protect the United States from foreign invaders." "Today, Fort Barrancas, once vital to national defense, shows the evolution of military technology and America's values."
Shortly after Spain surrendered Florida to the United States, the United States Fleet chose Pensacola Bay as the main Gulf Coast Fleet, and a decision was made to send Engineers to build a fort to investigate the Coast Guard's coast line. . The fleet yard itself.
Built on the ruins of Fort San Carlos de Barrancas, built for the Spanish Castle in 1798, Barrancas was the third stronghold of the word "bluffs" in Spanish. Existing, 1797 Batteria de San Antonio was saved and replaced.
Between March 21 and September 21, slaves were formed by the hands of slaves working from sunset to sundown, joining an important weapon, including a fifteen-pound ball.
Although established as a defensive structure, it was engaged only in war during the Civil War.
Due to new developments in ball and naval warships, the US government began to evaluate proposals for a new coastal defense in 1885 and was declared excessive in 1947 after the closure of World War II.
Attractive features from the Visitor Center include an avalanche-shaped castle, notable features include a scarf and counter, a ditch, a bar, a secret harbor, a guard room, an open parade area and a water battery. The last two were closed by a tunnel. Balloons thrown from a water battery are designed to jump out of the Gulf and hit ships in water lines.
At a height of 20 feet by six million bricks, four feet in thickness, there are partitions and precious ceilings.
The Advanced Redoubt, built between 1845 and 1870, preserved the Pensacola Fleet Station north of the peninsula.
The Gulf Breeze, the main bay, Pensacola beach, eight miles from Pensacola, intersection 110 Interstate 110 South, is a narrow sandy spot on the island of Santa Rosa, with no view of the emerald waters. and offers ocean-related activities such as the Gulf and Mexico Gulf and swimming, sunbathing, fishing, snorkeling, sailing and diving. The flaming red, chartreuse, and purple sunsets regularly paint the sky.
Hotels on the beach are numerous locations, including Surf and Sand, Margaritaville Beach and Portofino Island Resort, along with popular names such as the Hampton Inn, Hilton, Holiday Inn, SpringHill Suites and Days Inn. Florida-based seafood restaurants with indoor and outdoor seating, such as Hemingway's Island Grill, Flounder's Chowder House, Grand Marlin, Shaggy's Pensacola Beach, and Peg Leg Pete's restaurants.
With 1471 feet of water, Pensacola Bay provides fishing opportunities for Pier, bluefish, pompano, red fish, Spanish pasta, and sturdy seabed trout. The runner is not excluded.
The self-guided footprints of the Sand Eco Tour, marked with informative signs, provide access to information about native plants and animals, including dolphins, sharks, turtles, birds, fish, and flowers. Each explains a different environmental theme.
Pensacola Beach, Cat Island from Fort Fort Walton Beach, Mississippi, is a part of the Gulf Islands National Seafront, 160 miles away, and includes barrier islands, seas, bay, and historic castles. The park, which offers orientation films and exhibits about the lively Oaks Area, is located on the Gulf Breeze, an island between the mainland and the Pensacola beach.
Established by the Gulf of Mexico, the national coastline protects the pockets of American history and culture and offers guests the flora and fauna of Florida. In the void created by water and the sky, for example, the surface of dolphins, starfish, sea and sea eagles allow the wind to pass through them.
One of the historic preserves on the Gulf Islands is the Fort Pickens, located on the western end of the Santa Rosa Island just outside the Pensacola Bay Harbor directly from Fort Barrancas. Named in honor of the patriotic Brigadier General Andrew Pickens, distinguished in South Carolina during the Revolutionary War, it was once the largest brick structure in the Gulf of Mexico.
Until 1821, the Third Coastal Fortress System, including the protection of the Pensacola Gulf and the coastal communities, had a secondary purpose when the legislature was adopted to create a maritime yard and reservoir. As part of the defense trio, it was intended to protect the western side of the island of Santa Rosa, with the bulkheads enclosed in the north of the canal and the eastern end of the Perdido Key.
Its construction began in 1829, under the supervision of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, when the government acquired 998 acres of brick and pentagon shaped structures, built of over 218 million bricks. many years later.
"(Employees) used building materials such as limestone, water and sand to mix the air; grill boards and canes, scaffolding and stand structures; waterproof boards and gutters for drains and drains; Equipment for use in stones, copper coatings, rods and dust magazines for the Park Service; (and) brick for basic work and counter.
The five base structures that needed a 500-man garrison during the war, but which could double in emergencies, were able to pull off the coastal firing ring, consisting of single-level casemates and barbette stairs.
In the event, the only battle he has ever experienced occurred during the Civil War.
Today, visitors still enter Fort Pickens with the original sally post, the main entrance provided by heavy oak doors. Plaster-covered neighborhoods served as both living and hospital rooms. Arched kazems provide a base for protected artillery positions and second-level balls. Three main cameras with 1,000 pounds each were connected to the tunnel system. The dust logs that kept the castle's black electricity, were built of wood to keep them dry and required the uniforms worn by the soldiers who went inside to prevent sparks. It was the location of the steam generators installed in 1903 to supply electricity to the generator room, light bulbs and other modern equipment.
The counters created a dry mountain to protect the castle from ground attacks. Rainwater was collected and stored in reservoirs for drinking. The tower's basement pointed directly at the canal, providing protection for the port.